Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Christmas Gifts for Pets: What Your Dog and Cat Really Want

Are you trying to decide on a Christmas gift for that special pet in your life? Through years of successful, and some not so successful, gifts to my dogs and cats, I offer you my list of what has resulted in happy responses from my friends each time. This list isn't full of gadgets, widgets, or some less fancy puppy or kitty outfits. But I have found that shopping for my cats and dogs is no different than shopping for another loved one, like a friend or family member. I always try to keep in mind what the pet receiving the gift likes to do or what their special tastes are and then give the gift accordingly. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I am buying the gift for my pets, not myself. When I do this, I find myself putting those reindeer antlers, Santa hats, or silly sweaters back on, and instead looking for a gift that I know they'll love.

1. The gift of time. Without a doubt, what our pets enjoy the most is simply being with us. But our busy schedules can sometimes not allow our pets the time they need or would like to have with us. Our amazing cats and dogs just want to share most of our lives with us, so for your Christmas present, plan a full day with the two of you filled with activities that are all centered around your pet. If you are planning to have a dog, your day may include time in a park or walking a trail, playing fetch, or going for a walk. Then after your outdoor activity, give your dog a massage and brush his coat. Snacks and dinner are suggested to include all of your favorite flavors. If your pet is a cat, you may want to spend some time getting them to try out a laser pointer or tie their favorite toy to the end of a string and then play with them and then play some more. Many cats love to snuggle and be petted for hours on end, and they will often fall asleep in your arms. But regardless of how you plan your day, the best gift you are giving is "quality" time with your pet. This is a gift that cannot be matched. It will strengthen the bond you already have and both of you will fully enjoy the time.



2. The gift of comfort. Providing comfort to your pet is a key element in meeting its basic needs. A heated dog bed or heated cat bed makes a wonderful gift for your pet. There is nothing like the comforting comfort of heat to make a pet gifts sleep well and wake up happy. No matter how old your pet is, everyone enjoys the warmth of a heated pet bed. If you have an elderly pet, the heat will provide special relief to sore or achy joints and muscles. The heat will relax the muscles and stimulate blood circulation, providing pain relief.

3. The gift of "special" treats. Favorite or special foods always make a great treat for pets. Traditionally flavored raw hides or hickory-smoked beef bones make good gifts for dogs. Like tuna and salmon flavored treats for your cats. I was one of the many who used to do these purchases for my pets at Christmas. But I finally wondered, why not go out of my way and offer them a feast they would never normally receive? I did, and continue to do so. I roast each of my dogs a small steak for Christmas dinner. I know you're probably saying, 'what!' Are you crazy?! But steak is about the same price as a toy or rawhide, and it's their once-a-year treat that also gives them a bone to chew on for hours. Some years I give them grilled boneless chicken thighs instead, and they enjoy them so much. Of course, be sure not to use seasonings when preparing food. For your kitty, why not buy a fresh little piece of salmon or tuna? Make it without seasonings and I promise your cat will be licking his lips all day. Toys will be bought and received throughout the year, but give them a holiday meal they won't forget.

My philosophy is that cats and dogs prefer a personalized gift that is tailored to their likes and dislikes. So whatever gift you choose, you don't need to think that it should come in a package hanging from a hook in a pet department. Gift ideas for dogs or gift ideas for cats should only come from your heart and usually involve a portion of your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

gigiss