Tuesday, December 15, 2020

How to find good songs for your voice

What are good songs for you?

Most of us who have seen American Idol have witnessed the situation where one of the judges told the singer that he chose a very bad song to sing.

No matter the injustice of this comment (those young singers probably had very little experience choosing songs), the point is that it takes a lot of research and trial and error to find the right songs to sing at any given time in our lives. singers. The process cannot be rushed.

You have to listen to a lot of Davido Songs to find the ones that are right for you.

If you are someone who wants to be a singer, you should always be on the lookout for a good song to sing.

Try to avoid the mistake of thinking that a good song, one that is good to sing, will probably be among the most current or famous songs. Your voice may or may not be suitable for the style, range, and expression required for the songs we hear on commercial radio.

Plus, singing the most popular songs of the day makes it easy for others to compare you to famous singers. It's best to avoid those kinds of comparisons until you can bring your own unique talent to a well-known song.

Instead, look for songs that really suit your talent:

Your kind of voice

Your musical style

Your rank

The state of your art (note that you don't have to sing loud or high to be appreciated. Sing songs that you can easily sing at this point in your career. Sing them well, with style).

Your acting needs (will you sing in a stadium or in your own home? Each venue has different needs).

Your audience (What can you sing well now that they like?)

How to find good songs to audition

I'm looking for songs for my new show, "PASSIONATE HEART." It is the first time in many years that I will sing songs that I have not written. Most likely, my chosen songs are very different from yours, but the process to find them is very similar.

Here are some things I've been doing:

Reviewing lists of songs sung by singers whose range, style and voice are similar to mine. (I go to iTunes and YouTube to listen to song clips or watch videos. I can tell pretty quickly if a song is going to fit me.)

Ask people who know my voice what songs "they would like" to hear me sing. I cannot sing any of the songs that are suggested to me. But sometimes my friends come up with interesting ideas that help me develop my skills.

Checking out the "best song lists", like the best songs of 2007.

There are many of these lists. Choose one that lists songs in your musical style. Listening to songs that others have chosen as their favorites makes me think of something musical. I may not like many of the songs on the list. But often, there will be one or two that I will put on my "maybe" list.

I also listen to songs by new and relatively unknown singer / songwriters. Sometimes you can find a winning song that very few people have heard. (The singer can welcome you and give your song more attention.)

When I have a list of about 20 songs, I learn them reasonably well, enough to start singing them. I sing them, a few at a time, for people whose opinions I respect. Then I start the long process of elimination.

No comments:

Post a Comment

gigiss